Will surprised me several days ago by sending me a photo in my e-mail of a new attic floor. I happened to be away from home at the time, and when I saw the subject line, “150 sq ft of floor,” I admit I panicked, wondering what Will had decided now without telling me, and what he had done to which room? Well, when I saw the photo I was pleased. Here it is:
I am afraid Will is a bad photographer, and this picture makes me feel seasick, but it will suffice for now.
He had salvaged quite a stack of sheet metal off a roof he had re-done for a client, and while some of it has gone onto our own roof (partially done), he chose to use some of it for my attic, too! Most of my friends tell me I am pleased with simple things, but this did please me! I’ve gone four years without a floor in my attic, having to make do with scraps, boards, and things taken off the trash heap to construct platforms which will hold the various things that need stored. So this was indeed a happy day.
I had intended to lay down some junky plywood, just for an overall platform until something better could be done, but Will assured me this would not have worked. When I eyeballed the various elevations of the sheet metal floor, I understood why. In at least two places, the floor was as much as an inch out of level in a foot’s distance! No, plywood would not have worked out well. Sheet metal, flexing and quick to lay down, worked out much better.
I thanked God for saving me the loads of work involved in pulling staples out of the plywood I had in mind, too, as it had come straight off another roof years back.
Well, so much for that.
Since this photo was taken, we have laid down more sheet metal, and have almost have the attic covered. I have cleaned the floor, and begun re-arranging the cabinets I got for my sewing and craft things. (These cabinets were salvaged out of a church remodel, and while I would never have chosen the orange counter top, I’m not complaining.)